Is it possible to kiss goodbye to chapped lips forever? Yes, but like any chronic condition you must first identify the cause so you can smartly plan your remedy.
Here are the 9 most common causes of chronic lip chapping which will give you a “heads up” on identifying the culprit.
1) Cosmetics – Lipsticks contain a wide variety of chemicals that can wreak havoc on your lip’s natural oils. The one watch out for is “propyl gallate” which can cause a contact allergy.
2) Lip Care Products – Believe it or not, those lip balms and moisturizers you use to treat chapped lips may make matters worse. The petroleum base used in many of these products may cause an adverse reaction for some people. Due to reports of toxic side affects the EU has recently banned petroleum from future lip care products.
3) Flavoring Agents – Although commonly overlooked many people are allergic and/or sensitive to artificial and natural flavoring agents. The main culprits are red dye (candy, lozenges, gum and mouthwash), guaiazuline (toothpaste) and cinnamon flavoring.
4) Fruit Juice – Citric acids contained in orange juice (or any other kind of juice) can severely irritate your lips. This is due to photo-toxic residue left behind on the corners of your mouth.
5) Vitamins – Too much Vitamin A and B12 can cause crusty and swollen lips. It does not matter if your source of vitamins comes from whole foods or supplements. Stay under 25,000 IU of Vitamin A per day and minimize your intake of cobalt contained within Vitamin B12.
6) Dehydration – Are you getting enough water? Drinking 8 to 10 glasses of water a day is not only essential for good health but is also a good preventative measure against getting chapped lips.
7) Smoking – The natural oils on your lips (which prevent dehydration) tend to dry up every time you smoke a cigarette. Another great reason to trash those cancer sticks.
8) Drugs – Side affects from some medications may also dry out your lips. Harsh acne treatments are often the culprit. Check with a dermatologist if this is something you are concerned about.
9) Fungal Infection – If none of the above causes seem to apply to you it is possible that a fungal infection may be the underlying problem. See a dermatologist for an evaluation.
Take a moment now to think about which of the above is the most likely cause of your chapped lips. Once you have narrowed down your list of likely suspects to just one take action to eliminate this from your lifestyle for at least one week.
Monitor your progress, if after a few days your lips are restored to their former glory, you now know what habit to avoid in the future. If your chapped lips have not cleared up move on to the next likely suspect, and repeat.
Whether it’s a simple peck on the cheek as you are leaving or a full-blown smooch worthy of an Oscar nomination, kissing defines who we are and where we are in a relationship. If you . . .
Do you want to be the guy who can make a woman weak in the knees with a single kiss? If you are looking for some sensational techniques to amp up your kissing techniques, you . . .